Thursday, December 23, 2004

The Triplets of Singleville

Yesterday I found my Blog Twin and today I discovered that I am in fact a Triplet. Let's not kid ourselves though...there are probably over a million blogs...and I am sure that there are more than just 3 that are written by women about their love lives. Applying the laws of Statistics as well as the Chaos Theory and I am sure that we can agree that there are likely 300 blogs similar to mine in English...let's not worry about the other languages for now.

So initially I was thrilled. Hurray! Sharing. Learning. Yippee. I stumbled on Serially Single's blog and was happy to find a kindred spirit...even if that spirit lives in a different country, much more metropolitan city, and is a bit younger than I am. I found the most interesting phenomenon -her post and my post were nearly identical in concept.

So then this morning I received an email from SlimKatie and she informed me that she too writes on a similar topic and she gave me some spelling corrections (mental note...must become a better speller and user of spell check). So I decided to check her site out. Woah. The topic is the same yes, but I believe that is where the similarities end as our approach to dating are so clearly polar opposites. I admire SlimKatie for her convictions and up-scale attitudes...I just prefer a more low-maintenance approach. It's all the little things that woo me really.

I want to be very clear here. I am not slagging my Blog Sisters. We all have our own voices, our own unique approach and thank god for that! If we were all the same...then being single would truly suck donkey ass as we'd all be looking for the same man and no good could come of that.

Having said that, today I feel the need to reflect on my behavior...my ideas about a relationship and my approach to men specifically. Here is my top 6 list for what I want in a man.

1) Intelligence. I do not want to have to dumb it down for anyone and I appreciate a good verbal debate. I want a man with a mind of his own and the ability to back up his convictions.

2) Good Communication Skills. This doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with #1 though I believe it should. I want a man who can share his thoughts and emotions, needs and desires with me....communicate with me.

3) A wonderful smile. I'm not demanding $3000.00 worth of orthodontics or whitening treatments....I'm talking about a sincere smile that is reflected in his eyes and reverberated in his laughter.

4) Speaking of laughter...great sense of humour. I think I'm funny. Laugh dammit!

5) Sense of adventure. Seriously...make sure your passport is up to date when you hang out with me....you never know when Fiji beckons.

6) Good Health. This doesn't necessarily mean having a washboard stomach and a chiseled back. I struggle with my weight sometimes but I am not obsessed with the gym. I need a partner who can do the Grouse Grind with me in 2 hours or less, walk the 10km Seawall with me in less than 1hr 30 mins.

I don't want to be the only person earning money in the relationship...that is a lot pressure. HOWEVER, requiring them to make oodles of casholah and retiring at the age of 40 is not something that is important to me. How old do you think Donald Trump is? Richard Branson? Bill Gates? These men still work because they love what they do. I admire a man who is good at his chosen career path and has a passion for it.

I am SUCH a greenie. I don't own a car and I don't care if my partner does either. I ride my bike, I walk (a lot) and take transit if need be. If he did own a car...please ne pas de SUV. This is Vancouver...not Whistler...there are no mountains downtown that you need to navigate through.

I am a pretty approachable person. I also like to approach people myself. I don't know if I have any standard sort of pick up line though. I usually comment on something that is either happening in the immediate vicinity, an article of clothing or some form of nearby literature. I am particularly attracted to guys who read interesting books on the train.


So now I begin to think...hmmm...has the horse had enough? NONSENSE! See here for why.

So a final note to my Blogging Sisters- I wish for you this Holiday Season much love and laughter...in all their forms. And if you happen to stumble upon any Blogging Brothers....let me know. I have yet to find a man's opinions about this stuff.

Cheers,
Kwerkie






1 comment:

Lady K said...

Merry Kwerkmas!!!

I avoid relationships at the holidays. It's all very mentally taxing. Finding the perfect gift, trying to have those infinitely romantic holiday moments that on tv look so easy but really are impossible and the blending/meeting of the families. Not to mention that the 'other' family has weird holiday traditions and strange tasting stuffing.

I love hanging out with friends at the holidays but avoid the significant other... I'm so lazy.

Anyways, many martinis to you!!!