Saturday, December 11, 2004

Scrabble, Monopoly and Dating - the games we play

I don't think that it is coincidence that people refer to it as the dating "Game". Wasn't there a TV show called that as well? A real live game where you had to guess what your partner answered to often some pretty silly and sometimes some pretty enlightening questions. Or was that the Newly Wed Game? It hardly matters really. Though isn't it bizarre how the games continue on from dating to marriage?


Last night I went on a date that was apparently based on the point system. Had I known I was being graded the entire date, I might have studied up before hand. Still - it makes for a good point on this blog. This guy was obviously all about the "game" of dating. Personally...I like to meet someone, see if there is chemistry and see if we can have interesting conversations. It is important to note that I am also looking for that elusive comfortable silence in between discussing world events and pop culture. Is there a point system with me? Hardly. I am a very emotional person...I lead with my heart not my brain...too often we have seen how this gets me into all sorts of trouble. However...my point is this...no points please.

After my fairly poor date last night I met up with Malcolm and his peeps at Doolin's. I couldn't believe there was a line up....I couldn't believe my charming smile didn't get me past the line up...I was happily rescued by Malcolm and only had to wait about 5 minutes in the "VIP" line.

Always a treat to see Malcolm -his energy is bigger than mine! We chit chatted about all sorts of things and I regaled him with the events of my date that ended just 30 minutes prior. I was pretty much exhausted from lack of sleep the night before and my work out session at the gym after work (how I had the energy for that I will never know) so when the party moved downstairs for some boogeying...I decided to mosey on home. The 25 minute walk home did me good I think. I could feel my legs begin to seize up while standing at the bar...so moving them was good.

Back to the games. Malcolm has told me that he has a Stalker! It's unbelievable! Not because Malcolm isn't "stalker worthy"...but because I can't believe that someone would be so insistent in the face of so much dis-interest. (if that's not a word...it should be). Stalking is a very Dangerous Game.

Anyway....so Stalker Chicky showed up at the bar after I left and Malcolm finally had a chance to talk to her face to face and say that basically...he just wasn't interested in her. So then she comes back with "Yeah....me neither". What? Ummm...Excuse me...she was the one sending him 4 billion text messages/msn messages a day blah blah blah. Strange what we do to protect our own egos. Malcolm then informed me that he was unable to say goodbye to her before he and his crew left the club.... so she ended up texting him long messages. Helloooo....does she just not get it??? Earth to Stalker Girl....get a grip!! Even *I* got it pretty quickly with Malcolm.

Guess where I met Malcolm? Yup...you guessed it. I had a very nice time on our date and though I think Malcolm was disgusted at how I clearly can not handle my liquor, I think he has forgiven me my sins. teehee. Malcolm just wasn't interested in pursuing anything romantic with me....I didn't feel the need to beg and plead with him and try to force him to feel or think something that he just wasn't feeling or thinking. After our date Malcolm sort of disappeared for a while. When he finally did re-emerge some weeks had passed and I didn't have to ask him if he was interested in me...his lack of communication with me said it all.

When he finally did re-emerge, we pretty much picked up the MSNing that we had in the past. Witty banter (I admit he is wittier than I) and discussion about music and life in general. We met up again for a concert and that was cool to hang out with him there. He's a bigger music phreak than I am. If I had had more energy last night I'm sure we would have cut a rug and had a great time. Sometimes it's just really nice to hang out with very cool people and not have to think about what you look like or what they are thinking about you etc. That is how I feel when I see Malcolm...very relaxed and just out to have a great time.

I guess I am not really equipped to date. I don't treat it like a game. I don't like the point system, I don't like the lies...regardless of the colour - that seem to go along with dating.

Here are the games I enjoy playing - scrabble, monopoly, pictionary, cranium and scatagories.

ok..that's it for today. Game On.

Kwerkie











2 comments:

Lady K said...

Well, my darling baby, I, too, have succumbed to the world of the blog. http://www.artgoddessmyth.blogspot.com
You are such a trendsetter!!!!

I think I should develop dating citations for you. You could rate the date and assign fines for idiotic dating crimes.

Fines could be levied as follows:
Shallow comment about your looks = a pair of shoes
Not holding the door open = one martini
Staring at the waitresses tits = a designer clutch
Being late = a white rose for every minute
Boring conversationalist = a spa gift certificate

I think this system would encourage less DUI's (dating under the influence) and other crimes against the opposite sex.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Kwerkie -- it's wonderful to get back in touch!

This is some amazing stuff. I devoured every single entry, and I feel privileged to have been directed here. I even read the poetry (and I'm the guy that skips the poetry -- unfortunately). You're a very engaging writer.

I would love to meet for an extra-hot soy tazzo chai latte when I get into Vancouver. I'll send my schedule!