Thursday, December 23, 2004

Holiday Honey? Christmas Cutie? Chuanukah Bunnikah??

One of my All Time Favourite movies is When Harry Met Sally. I think a lot more relationships would "survive" if more couples watched that movie and then discussed it together - just a theory though...don't go moaning to me if it doesn't provide you with the miracles you need to have a "successful" relationship. (what a useless pop-psychology term).

One of the best lines in that movie is "The Holidays are tough. Every year I just try to get from Thanksgiving to Christmas to New Years". I guess that this explains the Holiday Honey theory I have.

It is amazing to me how many more men will hit on me closer to the holidays. Personally....I don't need to wait until the Holidays to get depressed about single. In fact, honestly, I really am not that depressed about being single. Why would I want to "settle" , lower my standards, ruin my sense of self-esteem and all of the other negative things we do when we "settle" for someone that just isn't our whole package?

What is it about the Holidays that makes people feel the need to hook up? True it's a time for peace and love in the world, but isn't the idea of Christmas to keep the love for your fellow peoples in your heart the whole year round? Is December the one month out of the year that people who don't know you will try to be nice to you?. December has the highest retail sales of any other month. That means people are either mindlessly buying crap because they've been brainwashed...or they are feeling generous and loving. I'm going with what is behind door #1...how about you?

So what is up with all these men falling over themselves at me lately? Am I to assume that these men are just feeling an over-abundance of generosity and love and wish to share that with any random female stranger? Or is it something a little more along the lines of feeling lonely at a time when there is so much emphasis being put on your "loved ones" and that "someone special". Again...how about that door folks? #2 looks good doesn't it??

I am kinda (sorta maybe) dating a guy whom I shall call Magellan. (Don't ask, just accept it). So Magellan is probably not going to make it too far past Christmas with me. He is needy and a bit of a Mamma's Boy and he needs constant reassuring. I'd like to put it down to his age; however, at 29 you'd think he'd be a bit more together. The man apologizes FAR too much...for EVERYTHING. He also asks questions that are better left unanswered - specifically about my sexual history. I am the believer in what happened before me, does not concern me. Sure there are some questions I ask too...but I am pretty much prepared for the answer. Magellan was very intimidated by my answers.

I guess that Christmas isn't about having a relationship for me. I don't feel any more lonely or together at Christmas time. I focus on family, friends, lots of Christmas cheer (glug glug glug) and the fun that is decorating my tree. I don't really have much time to date over the holidays and I'm happy that the financial burden of buying one more gift is lifted. Or is it???

Magellan bought me a small gift before he headed to the frozen wasteland of Toronto to spend Christmas with his family. The gifts themselves were not much...but here's the thing ...it really IS the thought that counts for me. I didn't even think to get him anything. Not even a beer. Nothing. If I really wanted to be a megalomaniac...I could say that dating me IS his present. hahahha. (ahem).

Do I want a boyfriend at Christmas time? No more so than at any other time. I don't suffer from the Holiday Honey syndrome...do you?

Merry Christmas! Joyeux Noel!






.

No comments: