Sunday, December 12, 2004

Private Kwerkie -the Revolutionist.

Ok...this has absolutely nothing to do with being single or in a relationship or any of that stuff. This rant is purely based on just how much I hate the government, politics in general and people asking me questions I don't feel arsed to answer.

I have received a few letters in the snail mail from Statistics Canada. I have opened them...read them...and then prompty recycled them. I have come home and had a few recordings on my answering machine...however...the message must clearly start when my answering maching picks up....because when at long last the "Beep" goes I heard this "...ple in Alberta call 1 866..." You get my point. There was nothing to identify who was calling or for what purpose and they leave a number for Albertans to call back.

A few things to know about me. I often do screne my calls. I just do. Sometimes I like to not talk to people...even my friends whom I love very dearly. Some days I just don't feel like sharing or listening. I am sure we all go through that.

Sooo...if I get a message that doesn't give me ANY clue as to who they are or what they are calling about and gives me a phone number for a different province...you can bet that I won't be returning said phone call.

Well...sad for me...tonight I answered my phone and it was Stats Frickin' Canada on the other end. I missed the last 5 minutes of the Brad May and Friends hockey game....it was probably the ONLY hockey I am going to see this year...and I missed the last 5 mins because of a fucking survey that I don't even want to take.

When I found out it was Stats Can...I was immediately defensive and rude. It was 7:45PM on MY Sunday night. No Government reason is important enough to call me on my day off at 7:45PM. I am fairly certain that politicians are not working that late for me.
Besides that.....HOCKEY DAMMIT!!!


So this woman informs me that it is MANDATORY that I answer these personal questions. Age, Gender, Address, Hours of work, place of work, monies earned blah blah blah. Umm...hellooo....isn't that what my taxes are for?? Can I help it if Revenue Canada doesn't talk to Statistics Canada? Why is it my fault that the government families don't get along or share well?

Now...I get that finding out the unemployement rate is pretty important to our economy. However...what I don't get...is why anyone who is warry or in fact, as obstinant as I am about giving out my personal information, should be punished for it. I can see you shaking your head in confusion....I KNOW I share an awful lot of personal stuff on here. But c'mon...it's not like you can actually DO anything with that information...maybe you can learn from it....maybe you can process it...maybe one day you'll try to use it to blackmail me though for what reason I can not even begin to fathom.

Let me be very clear here. Here are the following questions I refused to answer: Name, Place of Work, Income Earned, Hours of Work. Do you want to know why? Because my mother has made me paranoid! Yes that's right...like a good Gen. X or Gen Y or Next Gen or whatever the hell category I fall into, I am going to lay all my wierd behavioural issues on my parents.

If someone knows where I live, my name, my place of work and the hours I'm there from Mon-Fri...perhaps that person can get into my abode in my absense and rob me phreakin' blind! Oh Kwerkie isn't here from X time to X time and because she makes X amount of $$ she probably has lots of toys and goodies in her apartment that we can steal etc.

Ok Ok...I know that is probably over the edge. STILL. Why mandatory? Why? Use someone else as part of your sample. What if I just made it all up?

Name: Normal Normal McNormal....winner of last year's Normal competition who never did anything
extraordinary.

Occupation: Full Time Lunar Marine Biologist MON-FRI.
Part Time Under Water Fire Fighter Sat afternoons.

Monthly Income: From the LMB I make $6000.00 a month but I am expecting to get a bonus of $8000.00 for
any proof finding the ever so elusive Cosmo Dolphin.
From the UWFF I get all my scuba gear for free.

So here are the lesson - blame others for your strange behaviour because you can
- skew any gov't surveys....it's the one chance you get to screw them back.

End Rant.








No comments: