Monday, January 31, 2005

The stuff first dates are made of

Like Eliza Doolittle sang..."I could have danced all night!" Well...I could have...if there had been dancing. But there wasn't any dancing...nor any music that I could hear over the cacophony at the Granville Room. That isn't the point though...the point is I had a BRILLIANT date on Friday night with a guy that seems to be in the deeper end of the gene pool – that is to say, he appears to be one of the “good ones”.

I was happy to see that he was much better looking than I had initially thought. I know that seems like an odd statement…but he really looked quite a lot different in person than in his photos. He has a very rugged look, strong facial bone structure and he’s fairly big (read: muscular) in a good way…not a gym monkey…but a nice big chest (here’s hoping it has hair!!) and big arms. What really struck me about him were his eyes. Unbelievably blue, sparkly and just a major WOW factor. He also has a brilliant smile and a great laugh.

Our date was LOVELY. It might have been the bottle of wine I consumed during my Dine Out Vancouver dinner with Simone (we went BEFORE my date to be clear here), or it could have been that I was so dazzled by Ronan’s eyes…or maybe it was the 3 martinis I consumed with him over great conversations…but I thought the date went off brilliantly.

We talked about one of my favourite topics : HOCKEY! And then I got to regale him with my tales of Australia, Cricket and Aussie Rules (go Carlton Blues!!!). Probably the first guy that I’ve gone out on a date with that could actually converse intelligently with me about hockey. Thank GOD for that. Also, he seemed to like that I’m a bit of a sporty chicky…which is nice.

Two moments of note: Ronan gets up from the table to go to the loo and instead of going around his side of the table, he comes over to mine, puts his arm around my waist and whispers in my ear “I am such a lucky man to be here with you tonight. You look stunning”. And then he was gone down the hall to the loo.
Well….my mouth went absolutely dry! He should have stayed another moment or two…I might have swooned! Teehee

The second moment is more like an incident: Ronan is in the loo. 5 minutes go by and I think…wow…he’s taking a long time for a guy. 10 minutes go by and now I’m hoping he’s not ill. 12 minutes – I’m thinking “what the hell?? Did he DITCH me???” And then I check and see that his lovely leather jacket is still on his seat…so No. And I’m sure that all our hand holding (read: finger sex) and the mega compliment he gave me just before he left for the loo doesn’t compute with a guy who would ditch me.

So now I’m concerned about him. Then I look down the hallway towards the loo and I see a large group of men trying to break down the bathroom door! OH MY GOD! My date is locked in the men’s room! I can not help myself. I am cracking up laughing.

Poor Ronan. 20 minutes he was in there and then they FINALLY got the door off its hinges to let him out. The FUNNIEST part was that he was trapped in there with another GUY!!!

Now the ladies room at the Granville Room is just a single toilet and sink…there are no stalls. The men’s room on the other hand has a door from the bar to the washroom and then inside are 2 stalls. So Ronan went in, some other guy went in and shut the door to the bar. They both went in their respective stalls…and then when Ronan came out he tried to open the main door the door knob broke off in his hand. They were locked in.

What fun! Ah well…he was hoping I would have come to his rescue sooner…and hoping that I didn’t think he had left.

I didn’t get home until 3AM! And it didn’t even feel that late to me. The date was so easy breezy lemon squeezey! He drove me home (he only had 3 beers over a period of 6hrs) and asked me out for another date.

Saturday afternoon I get a phone call from Ronan thanking me for a lovely time on Friday night and telling me that he’s really looking forward to seeing me again on Monday. Lovely Jovely.

I am also looking forward to our date tonight and I’ll keep you posted on how that goes.

P.S. Tinfoild – When we met he turned his mobile off and I said “Wow Ronan. That’s really nice of you to turn your mobile off. Your level of couth just went way up in my books” . He laughed and asked if Couth was a real word…and I informed him you can’t have the negative version with out the positive version.

3 comments:

Lady K said...

I truly believe that if something terribly embarrassing happens on a first date and both parties recover gracefully, it takes all the pressure off of appearing 'perfect' in subsequent dates. No one is perfect and eventually one of you is going to have spinach in their teeth, or spill a drink or accidently catch their hair on fire in the candle on the dinner table.

Of course, flying into a sreaming rage or getting all bummed out about things are also both signs to jump ship before the second date.

The Sunday Morning Hangover said...

Wait a Minute..
he was trapped in a Men's Room with ANOTHER GUY???????

RED FAG I mean Red Flag!

Tin Foiled said...

Of course, couth is a word -- I don't just make stuff up. So is kempt. Was this Ronan sufficiently kempt?

If not, he sounds marvellous -- plenty of little touches that really made a difference. A perfect HOWTO for a first date!