Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Want vs. Need - battle royale!

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I WANT in a partner and it suddenly occurred to me that what I WANT might not actually be what I NEED. Desires and Dealbreakers...where is the line?

I WANT a man who's taller than me. Do I NEED that? no.

I WANT a man who has some chest hair. Do I NEED that? no.

I WANT a man who is an active communicator. Do I NEED that? YES

I WANT a man who is a caring and adventurous lover. Do I NEED that? YES
(Oh c'mon! You know my theory!! Good sex will never save a relationship but bad sex will kill it! Just ask Jordan for proof of that!).

I WANT a man who is intelligent and willing to stick up for his beliefs/principles. Do I NEED that? YES.

In relationships from my past I see a lot of compromising on my part. I look past what I actually NEED because I think the men are capable of becoming the men I WANT. I think I've said this many times but men will never change - women won't either. It's not that people aren't capable of growth and change...it's just that so very very few of us actually DO alter our behaviours. Why would we have to in this modern age of dating?? There is another person in the next profile who might/will put up with our behaviours. There is very little incentive to change when your next relationship is just one click of the mouse away.

I turned down sex last night. I knew it was going to be pretty good sex too just by the way he leaned in to kiss me. Hands in my hair, pulling me gently to him, lips just barely touching at first, breathing in, really being in the moment...letting lips and tongues gently explore and then someone groaned (it might have been me)and we gave passion the reigns for a moment or two. And yet...I said no to him coming over and doing all sorts of delightful things to my body.

Did I WANT to have sex? Oh yeah!! But I just knew in my heart that it wasn't what I NEEDED right now.

I am looking forward to moving back home with a fervour that is pretty much incomparable. The support of my friends and family are going to mean a lot to me as I head into school and try to balance school, study, work and life.

I am really going to have to evaluate my WANTS vs NEEDS in the next 3 years. I will be poor and I will need to make very careful choices. This pretty much means giving up alcohol - which is going to be FABULOUS for my waist line ;) I also need to really prioritize my life. School is going to be THE MOST IMPORTANT THING in my life. I really WANT and NEED to do well. This is all part of my journey towards my greater goal for the H3 project.

I am feeling calm. I am ready for this. I will succeed!

1 comment:

The Doc said...

Go get 'em KC!! Best of luck to ya!!