Tuesday, February 08, 2005

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Last Friday night I was out with Malcolm The Eye Guy (TEG for short) and we got to talkin' about all the different labels that encompas the interactions between men and women who are romantically linked together. From what I gathered by our discussion, TEG holds the belief that there are no less than 5 labels between men and women when it comes to the blanket term "relationship".

So for the purpose of this entry, I'll separate our view points by colour.
TEG's point of view will be in lovely green. Mine will appear in happy orange.

1) Hanging Out.
This is when 2 people are just getting to know each other . They "hang out" at various events...concerts, parties etc...usually involves other people around. Some kissing/making out etc. All part of the Hanging Out process.

This is when I meet someone of ANY gender and spend some time with them with no romantic intentions/desires towards them. I hang out with my friends...not anyone I want to kiss.

2) Dating
This is when 2 people start hanging out but mostly just with each other and not have others involved in their activities/plans etc. More kissing, some petting etc.

This is when I meet a guy and I have romantic intentions/desires towards them. I want to spend time with them to get to know them, do activities with them, concerts, parties, sporting events and long conversations with them. Kissing and mild petting is all OK here.

3) Seeing Someone
This is when 2 people decide that they aren't going to date anyone else and become exclusive with each other . It's basically the same as Dating only you are monogamous now, sex is usually involved.
For me this is exactly the same thing as Dating. "Dating" and "Seeing Someone"....sounds like a laundry detergent commercial to me - I can't see the difference, can you see the difference?

4) Relationship
A little bit more serious than Seeing Someone but still a wee bit on the casual side...nothing too serious,...both could walk away at any time with no hard feelings/regrets etc.

This is where the sex comes in for me. We are monogamous, sharing and growing together with an idea that this is a progression to something bigger.

5) Serious Relationship
This is when the 2 agree that they are going to be working at the relationship with a future in mind.

This is where we move in together and build more of a bond for a stronger future together. This is pretty much playing at marriage for me to see if it is right.


All these definitions, explanations, opinions...but I'm pretty much with Juliet on this one. " a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". It doesn't matter WHAT we call it...when 2 people really like each other and are spending a lot of time with each other...doing the things that make them happy and comfortable...why do we need to label it?

I admit I'm a bit of a labeler. I have buddies, friends, good friends, crushes, and then of course there is the man I am dating/ or in a relationship with. These are all labels.


Have I placed any labels on Ronan? I admit I have. I'm dating him...he's wooing me. (and doing a great job of it too). I like him a lot...not just the fooling around parts - though don't get me wrong that is fantastic - but I really like hanging out with him in general.

I'm trying to take things slow and steady here and trying not to get too carried away with labels or stages of "us". I would like to see where this goes. Do I think about having a future with him? Maybe - it sure sounds like a nice idea, but only time will tell as we get to know each other. After all, it's not like I can just add water and "POOF" he's an instant boyfriend! However, having said that, it would bother me if he were seeing other women. I don't like the idea of sharing him in that regard.

I am blaming the lack of luster in this piece on my serious lack of sleep. Ronan spent the night last night - but before you get all judgy I want to be clear on the point that we did NOT have sex. I loved falling asleep in his arms and waking up in them as well. Even with my bed head and morning breath I felt sexy beside him. It is strange to share my bed with someone again, I guess takes time to get used to as well.


oh sooo sleepy.
Kwerksteroonie












3 comments:

Lady K said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lady K said...

Don't you think it's somewhat important to communicate though? Because if a guy thinks you're 'hanging out' and you think 'dating' than that can lead to some major heartache.

And wouldn't it be lovely if a guy intitiated this conversation rather than a girl kind of slip-sliding around the subject trying to figure it all out? Because if you ask outright the guy might freak out and think that you are diving straight into 'serious relationship' world.

TenDollarMan said...

I'm just a simple Aussie. Labels are balls. What you want is something like this:

1. I like you.
This is the first stage.

2. I'm shagging your branes out.
This is the next stage.

Anything more complicated than this and I get distracted by shiny things and wander off. I don't think its good to limit things with labels. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are considered within your plan.

Love is analogue. Steps one and two, supra, are just two frequencies on the spectrum.

Thankyou for your attention. I shall now return to my search for ultrasound =p That is all.