Tuesday, March 29, 2005

A belief in Melons

I think I mentioned before that one of my all time favourite movies is "When Harry Met Sally". I love the stories in between the story...the interviews with the old couples and their stories of how they met and how they got married etc.

My favourite couple interview is the one of Ernie Small and his wife. He crossed the room to talk to her and she though he was crossing the room to talk to her friend Maxine ("men often crossed rooms to talk to Maxine") but he came to talk to her instead. He said "Hi. I'm Ernie Small of the Coney Island Smalls" and she interjects "I knew at that moment...the way you know about a good melon".

I want to believe in melons. I think I actually DO believe in melons and I'm just timid in admitting it.

Both of my brothers are married...quite happily so it seems. I am really close with both my brothers and their wives, it's quite refreshing and lovely and I think it might be something rare as well. Not many people I know are as close-knit with their families as I am. Don't get me wrong...we have our fair share of fights and dysfunctions...but for the most part we get along famously. I love them all.

I remember talking to Kelsey (my oldest brother's wife) and asking her how she "knew" that Don (my brother) was the one. She said she just knew. Couldn't explain it...but just felt it The way you know that spring follows winter and summer follows spring. You might have learned it at one point but it's so ingrained in you...you just feel it rather than think about it. I had the same conversation with Delilah (my other brother's wife) years later. She said pretty much the same thing.

I don't believe in "Love at first sight" but I do believe in an Instant Connection. A spark or fluttery feeling or some sort of significant energy passing through and between 2 people when they meet. I felt that immediately with Ronan. I broke my own "First Date Rule" and kissed him! I wanted to kiss him within the first 20 minutes of us meeting...crazy stuff.

As I mentioned before, my feelings for Ronan don't consume me. This is a significant difference from all my past relationships. I often felt like my emotions were frantic - out of control...that I was really engulfed in them and most of my behaviour was irrational, hasty and flighty. I'm not plotting out my every move with Ronan, rather I feel that things are developing very naturally between us. I am not trying to force anything to happen, I am just enjoying things as they unfold.

Ronan comes home from his business trip on Friday and I can't wait to see him. It has been 15 days since I have seen him and I really miss him. Though I might never tell him this...I even miss his snoring! And because I am admitting all sorts of silliness here I will tell you what I miss the absolute most. In the moments when I am first awake in the morning I will cuddle up to Ronan and get wrapped up in his arms, once I am there I listen to the steady rhythm of his breathing and feel the quiet thud of his heart on my back, and in those silent moments I feel the most connected to him and believe whole heartedly in melons.

2 comments:

Lady K said...

I thought this blog was going to be about breasts... :)

Anonymous said...

Whew! I thought it was just me... ;)

- Pedro